- This event has passed.
Introductory Pottery with KC Loveland: Wednesday PM
October 30, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm$150
Join local potter KC Loveland in this six-week introductory pottery course.
- This 6-week course meets once per week, 6-8 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- Students learn the basics of the pottery wheel.
- Successful completion of Introductory Pottery will give you access to Emerge’s Open Studio times.
In Introductory Pottery, students learn the basics of wheel throwing. You’ll start by learning how to center clay on a pottery wheel; from there, KC will teach you how to shape clay into cylinders and more advanced shapes.
Introductory Pottery can be taken multiple times so as to branch out into handle making and lid pulling. This course is ideal for people new to pottery or those who just need a brush up before they move on to more advanced courses.
- Week 1 10/28-11/2
- Week 2 11/4-11/9
- Week 3 11/11-11/16
- Week 4 11/18-11/23
- ::Thanksgiving break week:: 11/25-11/30
- Week 5 12/2-12/7
- Week 6 12/9-12/14
Pottery Details and Policies (read before registering):
- Street parking around Emerge is monitored Mon-Sat 9am-6pm by Diamond Parking. You can park for two hours free on-street before being ticketed. The parking garage across from Emerge is 2 hours free and $1/hr thereafter.
- Please plan to arrive ten minutes early to each session to set your things down and get seated. Classes begin promptly at their start times and the lesson of the session is at the beginning of class.
- Arrive with your fingernails trimmed short, long hair tied back and all jewelry removed.
- Aprons are available in the studio but please make sure you wear clothing you can get dirty. Clay can be messy.
- You are welcome to bring a drink and a snack to class (this does include alcoholic beverages responsibly consumed by those 21 & over).
- Attendance to the first class is mandatory and subsequent attendance to all sessions is critical as Emerge is unable to offer makeup classes in the event of a student absence.
- If Intermediate/”Intro Pottery 2nd timers” miss a subsequent class, Emerge can offer the option to transfer missed classroom hours to Open Studio time contingent on available Open Studio space. The Open Studio Hours Credit must be used within the eight weeks following the end of your current pottery session.
- Example: Amy misses her January 28th session of Intermediate Pottery and now has two hours of Open Studio time. Amy needs to use those hours by April 20th.
- In the event of instructor absence or the cancellation of class, your instructor will schedule a makeup class or credit you with Open Studio hours.
- Class fee includes new and/or recycled clay for your use to create your class projects. Extra clay can be purchased via check, cash, or credit card from your instructor for $25 per 25 lb. bag. This cost includes glazing and firing. As a quality control measure, only clay purchased from Emerge can be used in the Emerge clay studio.
- Pottery students who have completed one session of Introductory Pottery with Emerge are given access to our Open Studio times. Open Studio times are available for $10 per hour if you would like to work outside of class hours on throwing or glazing. They are typically scheduled one week night and one weekend day.
- Firing your projects: While we aim to have all pieces in a session fired and ready for pick up three weeks after the last class date, we are unable to guarantee a pick up date due to the unpredictable nature of ceramics. Greenware (raw clay) must be dried completely before the work can be bisque-fired and that timeline is open-ended, taking a variable amount of time depending on weather/temperature conditions. Glazed pieces must dry before the glaze firing, taking a variable amount of time depending on the size of pieces being fired and kiln load sizes. Our instructors work very hard to stay caught up on a rigorous loading schedule and will communicate to you throughout the class sessions about firing schedules.
- We do have a closed Facebook group where firing updates are posted. You may find that group by searching “EmergeCDA Pottery Studio Firing Updates”.
- Pieces of pottery that have not been claimed 30 days after the last glaze firing/unloading of the session will be considered orphaned and will be removed from the studio.
Emerge will issue refunds on the six-week pottery courses up to two weeks before the start of class. Refunds are not available after that time.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org